One Card to Rule Them All

I've done it. I've signed up for one of the most powerful clubs on Earth. One that gives great power to all who use it. I've got me a library card! Well, I don't have it yet. I signed up online which basically means that you can see if you have anything checked out, but you can't check anything out until you go in to the library to pick up the card. Sigh. I did it for the Wheatland Regional Library. I'm not allowed in the Saskatoon one since I'm from dirty ol' Warman.

 I haven't had a library card since I lived in Weyburn. And even then I gave mine to my eldest sister since she had lost hers, or had too many later fees or something. Listening to all these depressing podcasts about the Catholic Church murdering thousands of babies in Ireland was leaving me too depressed. With this card, I can borrow some audiobooks without having to pay Jeff Bezos.

Also noticed they have a writing competition. One for kids and one for adults. I might pull a Homer Simpson and join the kids one. The competition is for a 2000 word short story. I've been saying I want to write more and that length is probably a good one to start with. Or maybe I'll just be too lazy.

 I'm a pro library guy. I don't use them much, but I did as a kid. I read a lot of Star Wars books from the Weyburn Library and the first Warhammer 40K book I ever read was borrowed there. I wonder if it's actually a good read. Saskatoon is building a new main library building downtown that will be open next year. It's a nice looking building.

The kid and I had a discussion about it a while back. She indicated it would be nice for them to spend money on the homeless issue instead. I argued back that this is one of the ways you help with homelessness. Education keeps future people off the streets. Plus, it does a much better job than an arena. Saskatoon might be having a vote for a downtown arena and the vote alone is expected to cost a million. Is the library nicer than it needs to be? Probably. I'd also argue that the nicer it is, the more people will want to come to it.

 Do you still use the library? How about the one in Weyburn? Ever drive down there to borrow a book only to find you owe thirty five cents in late fees? 

Comments