Comedy: The Horror!
I recently talked about George Carlin after watching him recently. Funny guy, not nearly as funny as I remember from the short clips I had always seen. I watch some comedians from time to time so it was inevitable that another of those guys popped up. This one is more recent than George Carlin and someone I remember being around when he was big: Jeff Foxworthy.
We've all heard his main bit, If you *blank* then you might be a redneck. In fact, famously, Pilot and I used that bit as our speech for our sisters wedding. And they haven't divorced yet. That can only be due to the amazing speech we put out.
I had never actually saw one of his routines though, just clips of that main bit. So, when one of his more recent shows popped up, and I was alone to prevent embarrassment of watching it, I clicked play.
It wasn't bad. But it wasn't good. Definitely for that older generation, which he knows. He didn't do the redneck bit, but told a story from his life about stepping on a rattlesnake in the middle of the night on his back porch and the hospital visit that followed. Mostly his wife's reactions were the joke, which is typical of that generation.
So, not bad, but I wasn't really laughing either. And at least I can say I've seen him now. I don't know how many comedians out there I've missed that are probably hilarious. I know I haven't watched enough Bill Hicks. Recently I've gotten in Kyle Kinane and that will probably rotate around.
I have to be careful with what I watch at home as I will watch much more offensive stuff and laugh than my wife will. Dead baby jokes kind of offensive, not Dave Chapelle vs. trans people kind of offensive. And if I can't watch something cause it's too offensive for my wife, oh well. I'm not gonna pretend the world is worse of because of that.
I mean, the dead babies will still be there.
Comments