Covered Up

We're getting old. Our favorite musicians from the 90's are now played on the oldies stations alongside our parents music. And musicians we like are covering some of those songs as salutes to that old music. Recently, Opeth and Between the Buried and Me both have done some covers of classic hits. This is a little funny since both bands are old bands on the block, but whatever.

Opeth did a cover of a song called Would? by a little known band called Alice in Chains. BATM did Jellybelly by The Smiling Polit---I mean Smashing Pumpkins. They look to be part of albums with an assortment of artists doing tributes to each band. So I assume there will be more coming out.

It's kind of funny where I sit on the covers though. I've talked before about a concert I went to that had the band 3 and BATM as the openers for Opeth and Dream Theater. We got there late though and just saw Opeth and Dream Theater, the only two bands I knew. I've regretted not seeing 3 ever since I listened to them after the show but BATM was a band I wasn't interested in. I still stand by that for the music they released back then, but they are now one of the bands I listen to most. I really enjoy their newer stuff. And I don't listen to the other three much anymore. Dream Theater and Opeth the least of all.

Always changing, we are.

So, I wasn't too surprised that I liked the BATM cover more, even though I like the song Would? more than Jellybelly. Opeth just played the song though. Aside from a different voice, it's a 1:1 cover of Would?

BATM tried to make Jellybelly theirs. It's heavier. They growl. It's a BATM song. I'm not saying it's better than the original or that anybody should listen to it. I'm still kinda 'meh' on both of them, but I love that they tried.

We've all heard these songs. Show us how they've influenced you! Show us the wide variety of sounds that have come out of them! I want to know what they created, not just listen to a re-hashing of their music.

It's kinda like those string quartet albums that come out. They try to just follow the original song a lot and I end up just wanting to listen to the original. Give me something new! I want new music and new sounds!

Now, excuse me as I go listen to Load and Reload again.

Comments

Pilot said…
Ironic you mention Load and Reload in a post about covers. I was listening to Garage Inc. this week. Not a bad listen. Last good thing they did maybe.