Accessible
So it’s my turn to make a block again lots of ideas of what to make but I thought why not try and be like my brother over at pilot’s world and do it with my voice so far not going great hasn’t been any periods yet got common there which is all right but yeah could be better. I think there goes a period. One of the things is that I’m just using the keyboard from the Google keyboard I’m sure there Or voice to text options that cost more money, but I just want to use this free one. It’s all about accessibility for the average person.
OK, I'm switching back to keyboard. The technology is miraculous but it still needs some work. I'm sure if I were to pay for one it would get a lot better. Or even if I just used it more and learnt all the ways to make it add a period and what not, but I'm just trying to get a point across. Accessibility is not always very accessible.
I don't consider myself a person with a disability. I'm mostly healthy, can walk, read, listen, etc. I also think it makes it much clearer for me how hard people who have a disability have it. I have a fairly large TV in my house. I don't often play video games on it though as I struggle to read the text or see details. I can see it, but I have to strain my eyes. It's much easier to just use the handheld system right in front of me.
Some games allow me to increase the text size or HUD size which is great. Sometimes that makes it hard to see what else in on the screen, but I don't know a way around that. It also doesn't help with small objects that are in world. I also don't want game designers to limit their designs to only large things. Small things belong in games too.
I also like to use subtitles a lot. I don't have the best hearing and I really struggle when there are other sounds around me, which there always are. I could just turn up the TV a bunch, considering I usually have it at volume 10 of a hundred or so. There are other people in my house though and I don't think it's fair to ruin their use of the living room. Especially when I have the TV on and am playing a game on my handheld.
Now, there are easy solutions to my problems. I could get a bigger TV or rearrange the living room for me to be closer to the TV. The design of the building is kinda set with a certain layout in mind though. I have thought about getting projector some day, but we will see. TV's are getting cheap, but it's also low on the list of things to buy.
For the audio I could get some speakers that come around and are next to me. Easy peasy. The real hard stuff is wheelchair ramps and so on. Even just the 1cm jump from street to sidewalk can be a pain. And it would make no difference to just install that stuff slightly different. All of this has been beat to death though. Someday we might get there. Or anyone with a disability will get mechanical replacements and go on a giant Mech fueled spree of destruction.
I can't wait!
Comments
The first time I noticed it was during a gout attack. When I went to a shoe store to buy some shoes. The aisles were so narrow. I could barely get down them with my cane. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if you were in a wheelchair. Probably impossible to get through there.
Using voice to text is a bit of an art. I typically have to go back and edit manually or use grammarly to fix the fact that voice to text never uses a, to save its life.