Saskatche-won

August 3th. The ol' Saskatchewan day. Any reason to take a paid day off gets a thumbs up from me. It may come as a surprise to my primary reader and brother, that I was born and raised in Saskatchewan. I've lived here all my life (aside from a month in BC that hardly counts) and I can't see myself leaving. Not that it isn't without it's problems.

I've seen ads to come work in Ireland or become a teacher in New Zealand and yeah, that's tempting. I've got family here though and I doubt the jobs would pay enough for me to come back and visit much. I know my niche in Saskatchewan pretty well though and am more or less happy in it. I never even thought I'd move north of Regina, but here I am.

There's always plenty to see around here, if you want to look. Forests, hills, flat areas, lakes, rivers, deserts. Everything but the mountains. And oceans. and probably other things I can't think of right now. More outdoorsy stuff to do than I'd ever be able to do.

And I will complain about every part of it all the fucking time.

It's not that I hate the place or think it's bad. No place is a paradise(aside from the Chagos Islands pre-British and American invasion) and complaining is just human nature. I do love it here though. I don't have to worry about a massive city like Calgary, but there are big enough cities that I can find/do whatever I want. And the great outdoors is close enough.

I suppose, if I wanted to add anything to Saskatchewan, I'd add a McDonalds on the main street of Khandahar, but that towns probably has enough as it is.

It's usually way to hot, cold or windy in this province, but when you can hit that perfect weather, fuck yeah. Saskatchewan does a perfect 25 degree day better than most. And lack of natural disasters and non-stop animals to kill you is a bonus! Though that winter cold can be rough.

Anyway. That's all I gotta say about that. Good job, Sask. Here's to another year!

Comments

Pilot said…
I was watching a video of tools performance at the final black Sabbath concert from last year. They were singing the song Aenema and occurred to me that it might be fun, or at least interesting to write that kind of diss track against the town and culture in which you live. But then I kind of got to thinking it's a bit of punching down.

I admittiv late. I've actually wanted to move to Saskatoon quite a bit. Or Winnipeg. Not that there's anything specifically wrong with Regina, It's a government town so it's not steeped in culture and art like Saskatoon is or Winnipeg. I found myself working a lot with Saskatoon people lately with my music and while they try and be polite about where Regina is, there really is no argument. Saskatoon is better hands down and I've got the receipts to show it.

I think you're right about the perfect 25° day here in Saskatchewan. There's very little that can beat it. But I also think that the terrible weather we get is what makes those days so precious. When you've been through 3 weeks of -40 weather and a month of plus 35 weather that 25 hits like crack.