Friday, September 09, 2005

Parabol/Parabola

Not much to say today, I figured I would say aomething about the lyrics. I'm gonna try and post some lyrics with meanings and just some plain funny ones(usually gwar). Ideally I would like everyone to comment on the lyrics, what they think they mean and stuf like that(mainly for the ones with meaning, not the funny ones). I want to know what other people think about this stuff. I know I proably won't be getting too many people doing this but I'm gonna try.

I don't have much time cause we have a showing for our house in a bit so I am gonna start you off with this particular lyric from Tool. I've put two songs there because they are basically one song. The only thing that makes you know it's a different song is the change in the track number on your cd player. I know some of you may have heard Maynard Keenan say what this song is actually about but let's just leave that until everyone has commented and then put it on so that we can see how right or wrong we are.

Parabol

So familiar and overwhelmingly warm
This one, this form I hold now.
Embracing you, this reality here,
This one, this form I hold now, so
Wide eyed and hopeful.
Wide eyed and hopefully wild.

We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Parabola

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,
We are Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This holy reality, this holy experience. Choosing to be here in...

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion.

Alive

This holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in...

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...
Of what it means to be alive

Swirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this
chance to be alive and breathing
chance to be alive and breathing.

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. we are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion.

Tool


Well, I figure that maybe Maynard is saying that are minds, once created, will live forever, that there is an afterlife and that our life here on earth is just an illusion, it isn't actually happening and if we realize that fully maybe we won't feel pain or anything like that. He is trying to believe the realityu we live in now but he is having trouble doing it.

Now let's see what everyone else thinks.....Am I wrong?? I don't know.

3 Idiotic Remarks:

Blogger Soulfood whined...

Andrew...can I suggest that you put shorter lyrics or just excerpts?? Maybe that would ruin what you're trying to do, but I'm afraid that I'm just not interesting in reading the lyrics of a really long song. Anyway, other people can comment on this and we'll see if I'm out to lunch or if people agree with me.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 12:33:00 a.m.  
Blogger Pilon, A whined...

The thing about that is that a lot of the time the entire message of the song can't be derived from it without reading the entire lyrics. I never said you had to comment or that you had to do every single one. This is just something that if your really bored, you have something to do.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 2:30:00 a.m.  
Blogger Soulfood whined...

OK. I just thought I'd tell you that that's why I really don't comment. I might listen to a song if you had a link, but I really don't want to read the lyrics. However, if you like doing this, then go ahead!!

Anyway, you need to set a deadline for your contest. Because when I have a deadline, I tend to actually start doing something. With no deadline I'm just like "oh, I'll get to it eventually."

Saturday, September 10, 2005 5:17:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home